Department of Lands Building, Sydney NSW
This sandstone building, incorporating a number of innovative ideas for its time, was heritage listed in 1989. The facade has sculptures of various colonial figures of importance displayed on three levels.
The location has been in use by government since the very beginning of the colony of NSW, in 1788. Construction began in 1876 to 1880 for the first stage, and from 1888 to 1893.
Within the building, the NSW standard Base Line was established in the ground floor corridor for location. As well, a Datum Plug, where all measurements above and below in NSW are noted in reference from, was placed on the front of the building.
Description: Photo: Sandstone Facade with Statues and the Clock Tower
Photo: Corner of Bridge and Loftus Streets.
The building was originally designed by James Barnet, one of the most influential architects of NSW, many other buildings of note in the colony were designed by him including the courthouse in Goulburn.
Map of Sydney
Map of Sydney Australia showing the Circular Quay and Bridge and Loftus Streets Sydney City Map. Shopping areas in Sydney are marked by yellow.
Nearby Sydney hotels available include a wide range of styles to suit almost any budget.
Find NSW Australia Hotels Hotels in New South Wales.