Places of Interest
Places C - F
Australia G - Z
South Coast of NSW
Australia Tourist Guide
Queensland Rail Tours
Some of the last great rail journeys in the world exist in Queensland. Exploring Queensland by rail makes it easy to travel further afield from the normal tourist destinations, particularly along the coast and parts inland. Access to the Barrier Reef, the Whitsunday Island and the tropical north can be made from Cairns and points further south along the coast, while inland you can take one of the historic pioneering lines inland.
Queensland Train Lines
- The Sunlander - It stops at key places on the Queensland coast, including Hervey Bay, Rockhampton, Mackay, Prosperine and Cairns, a journey of 1681 kilometres. On the Sunlander the comfort level has been elevated with excellent dining facilities, first-class accommodation for all passengers with special attention paid to the onboard service.
- Tilt Train - Travelling on the Brisbane to Cairns line and Brisbane to Rockhampton is the coastal Tilt Train. Fitted for comfort, more akin to flying business class than standard rail.
- The Inlander Travelling to Mt Isa from Townsville, this historic journey follows the inland route, taking you over the Great Dividing Range and past the mining towns of Hughenden and Julia Creek.
- Savannahlander - This journey can take two to four days, depending on the side trips of the passengers. It takes you through World Heritage Areas and deep rainforests through to Outback Queensland via the scenic Kuranda Railway, then through the Savannah lands to Forsayth. The 1960 Rail Motor (see photo below) winds its way, stopping to allow the passengers and drivers to partake in a spot of tea, boiled in a traditional fashion in a billy (tin) can over an open fire.
- Spirit of the Outback - Brisbane to Longreach
- Gulflander The Gulflander takes you from Normanton to Croydon in the far north of Queensland. Originally built in the late 1800s, the line was laid for the gold found in the interior. One of the last great rail journeys found on this planet.
- Kuranda Scenic Railway see photo Cairns to Kuranda
- The Westlander - This route travels from Brisbane to Cunnamulla, Quilpieto and then on to Charleville, taking you over the Great Dividing Range and into the heartland of fertile Queensland, the Darling Downs.
Hotels in Queensland
Hotels and other accommodation throughout Queensland includes world class beach resorts, island resorts, hotels, motels, hostels, caravan parks and peaceful places to camp, even those with facilities for families.
Main Photo: Tilt Train - Exploring Queensland from Brisbane to the Far North by Rail. © Queensland Rail
Search the Australia Tourist Guide
Photo: Forsayth Rail on the Savannahlander