In the early days of the colony, medical treatment was supplied in a tent, but with the Sydney population growth came the need for a hospital. This hospital, built from profits made from rum, served from 1816 till the advent of the Gold Rush, when it was converted to be the official Mint for the Colony.
Governor Lachlan Macquarie first set aside land from the Government Domain where the hospital is situated and commissioned the access road, now called Macquarie Street to be built.
More about the Rum Hospital’s Beginnings:
See more about Sydney’s and Australia’s early historical beginnings:
Search the Australia Tourist Guide
Mobile Version: Mobile